Thursday, July 28, 2011

Circus Fun

Tonight was family circus night. It was super chaotic fun. Here's how the night unfolded...

We tried to get there early for the pre-show. We didn't. It sucked anyway. Five minutes into the actual circus, the 4 month old starts to get cranky. It hasn't turned into a major meltdown so I try the pacifier to appease him. It semi works. Finally, I decide to take him into the bathroom to feed him. I don't know if you've ever breast fed a baby sitting on the toilet, but I certainly do not recommend it. Baby seems happy after the feeding so we go back to the show. Baby immediately starts to cry again. So I take tired baby out of the auditorium to try to get him to fall asleep. About 10-15 minutes later, we have success and the baby is sound asleep. So now I'm finally able to enjoy the show with the hubby and 3 year old. That lasts about 2 minutes. Aunt Flow all of a sudden decides to make an appearance. That's right, I have just started my period. Lovely. Well the baby is soundly sleeping and there is noooo way I'm risking that to go to the bathroom! If you're a mom, I'm sure you can sympathize even if you wouldn't have made the same decision. 'Tis the sacrificial life of mommy hood... nothing is worth the risk of messing with a peaceful sleeping baby, especially in a crowded public place! You can cope with just about any kind of discomfort if it means the baby doesn't wake up. :)

So the show goes on and it's intermission. Josh leaves to refill drinks and I'm left with both kids. Korben tells me he needs to go potty. I tell him to hold on for just a little bit until Daddy gets back and can take him. I call Josh on his cell to notify him of the situation. Korben starts BEGGING me to take him to the potty saying, "Mommy, can you PLEASE help me?" The poor kid is seriously dying to go to the bathroom. He doesn't make it. I hear the pee hit the floor... the same floor that my purse and diaper bag are sitting on. Great. About 3 seconds later, Josh gets back. Of course. I'm not sure what can be accomplished at this point because Korben does not have a spare change of clothes but Josh takes him to the bathroom anyway. They come back with Korben still wet in pee clothes but he doesn't really seem to mind too much because the elephants have just come out and he is super stoked and apparently distracted from the grossness he is wearing. So he sits down and we finish the show. Why not? Korben has a GREAT time.

After the show, we head to the car (which is not a fun walk considering my current condition). Josh changes Logan's diaper in the back of the car, all the while I'm thinking, "Can you PLEASE hurry up so we can go?!" I haven't told him about my visitor and I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because I didn't think it would make a difference, maybe because I was being a martyr... I really don't know. Regardless, I can't really be mad at him for not going any faster when he didn't know about my crisis.

So we finally get on the road. Korben is content watching a movie and Logan has fallen asleep. I finally get a chance to drink some of the coke that Josh bought for me at the show. I open the bottle and of course Logan wakes up. The kid wakes up to the sound of a feather hitting the ground. Korben also hears it and is now begging for some coke. So much for the peaceful trip home. I let Korben have a sip and while he kept asking for more for quite a while, he finally gave it up and went back to his movie. I give Logan his pacifier and he falls back asleep.

We finally make it back home and I am whooped. Josh takes Korben to bed and I take Logan (after I've made a much needed trip to el baño). And then do I go to bed like I should? Nope. I come straight to the computer to write about our evening on the blog. :) And I have to tell you, even with all of the craziness that happened, I can't be upset about any of it. While Logan started out a little upset, he did finally get a nap and after he woke up, he was in a good mood for the rest of the night. And Korben didn't care about a single thing that happened tonight other than getting to see the circus and he had a lot of fun... THAT is worth everything that happened. The whole purpose of going was to take Korben out for a night of fun and as far as he was concerned, mission accomplished. :)

And if you are thinking that I have no shame, you're absolutely right. And if you're surprised about that, you obviously haven't read this post. I think I lost all modesty towards that type of stuff 3 years ago when I gave birth to my first child. It is the life that is called parenthood. :)

Here are a few pics from tonight (minus the mishaps).... :)








1 comment:

Jennie said...

Oh my GOODNESS, Cassi!!!! You had me laughing so hard!! Yet I feel terrible for all the mishaps you had. Glad it all turned out okay though!