Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How Thunder Cat Videos Came to be Banned...

For the longest time, it has been the norm to read Korben a book before bed. After the story, Josh or I (whoever is putting him down) might lay down with him for a couple of minutes but then we say goodnight, leave the room, and Korben goes to sleep shortly after.

This past week, my dear husband has decided to change that routine. Instead of reading him a book, he's been letting Korben watch Thunder Cat videos on his phone. Apparently Josh would start a video and then tell Korben that when the video is over, it's time to go sleep. Yeah. That might work if Josh didn't fall asleep first.

Korben likes sleeping with one of us in bed with him and I've been feeling guilty about the lack of individual attention he's been getting since Logan takes so much of my attention these days so I didn't make a big deal about Josh falling asleep in Korben's room every night this past week. The problem is (and I didn't realize this at the time), Josh is falling asleep while Korben is still watching videos.

A couple of nights ago, Josh told me he felt bad because he woke up at 1:00am and found Korben still watching videos. He took away the phone and Korben finally went to sleep. We both kinda laughed it off since it was just a one time thing.

I just learned that this was not a one time incident. Tonight Logan woke up at 3:30am. After I put him back down, I thought I'd go peek in on Korben -- and guess who was passed out and who was STILL WATCHING VIDEOS???!!!! As soon as I walked in, this little head peeked up at me from over the iPhone, and very casually said, "Oh, hey Mommy! I'm watching Thunder Cats! Can you get me some chocolate milk?" What in the whole wide world???? This was not in a sleepy voice that may have just woken up, this was in a very alert "I have not been to sleep at all" voice! WHAT THE CRAP???!!!! 3:30 IN THE FREAKING MORNING!!!!!

I got Korben his milk, took away the phone, kissed him on the forehead, and told him to go to sleep. And when Josh wakes up, I will be notifying him that he is now banned from putting Korben to bed - at the very least, all Thunder Cat and any other videos are banned at bedtime and books are back in.

For now, I will try to calm down and get some more sleep myself.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: