Friday, April 16, 2010

Just for Haley

My dear friend Haley has been sharing a few of her favorite recipes on her blog and has asked for people to share some recipes also. I think this is a great idea and I love getting new recipes myself... so here is a recipe I made a few days ago that turned out pretty well. I didn't take pics to show what the final product looked like but I'll try to remember to do so in the future! This recipe came from my Food Network Favorites cookbook. I tweaked it a little when I made it but I'll share the original recipe.

Tomatillo Chicken Tacos

6 tomatillos
1 serrano chili (I omitted this)
Olive oil
1/2 an onion (chopped)
1 Tbs. chopped garlic
1 C. cilantro
Juice of 1 large lime
2 Tbs. honey
1.5 C. shredded rotisserie chicken
Corn tortillas (or flour)
1 C. crumbled queso fresco (I just used Mexican style shredded cheese)

Husk and wash the tomatillos. Grill tomatillos and serano chili on the grill or a grill pan over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side, until blackened all over. Remove from grill and rough chop. Put in a saute pan and briefly saute in a little olive oil.

Put the tomatillos, serrano chili, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and honey in a blender and blend until smooth. Put the mixture in a saute pan, add the chicken, and heat through.

Warm the tortillas on the pan for about 20 seconds per side. Spoon mixture on tortillas and top with cheese.

I took half of the mixture and added a little bit of mild salsa to it. Both turned out pretty well, I think! If you want to skip the homemade tomatillo sauce all together, you can always buy the salsa verde in a jar but I would suggest adding a little bit of fresh cilantro and/or lime juice to it to make it taste a little more homemade! :)

Happy cooking!


2 comments:

The McGrew Crew said...

You're awesome!! Thanks! These look yummy! I'm sure I'll be trying them sometime soon! :)

Anna said...

Sounds delicious! I guess I need to dig around and find some recipes worth sharing to keep up with you ladies!